Check out the videos of us singing on the events page!

Pudsey Waterloo Primary School


SEND Information Report

We pride ourselves on being a fully inclusive school, tailoring learning to individual needs, as highlighted by our Inclusion Chartermark award. We make sure our SEND children have full access to an inspiring curriculum whilst also providing a nurturing environment; resulting in children that are making good progress, have high self esteem and are ready to make the next step of their school journey.



'Pupils with disabilities and special educational needs...achieve well because of the carefully targeted support they receive' OFSTED 2012.



At Pudsey Waterloo, we believe that all children should experience an exciting and outstanding curriculum to achieve their full potential. We understand that some children may need extra support through targeted interventions, specialised knowledge, differentiated learning and individual target setting. By identifying needs early and implementing interventions, we make sure all of our children make the progress they are capable of both academically and emotionally. We want all of our pupils to be happy, confident and successful in all they achieve.  


Special Educational Needs is defined as:

‘A pupil has SEN where their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, that is provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age.’

A child has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

‘ Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others the same age…’

(SEN Code of Practice June 2014)


There are 4 areas of need:

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and learning, including specific learning difficulties
  • Social, emotional and mental health difficulties
  • Sensory and/ or physical needs


What do I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?    

  • Talk to your child’s teacher


  • Speak to the SENCO  Miss Hateley  0113 323 0342


  • Attend a SENCO/ parent drop- in session held every half term



How will school support my child?


  • The class teacher in consultation with the SENCO will meet with parents/ carers and the pupil when possible, to ascertain the pupil’s areas of strength and difficulty, including progress and data.


  • If the pupil is identified as having special educational needs, they will be placed on the school SEN Register under ‘SEN Support’ and parents will be informed.


  • When all the information is gathered, outcomes will be agreed and next steps will be planned. This may involve group intervention, 1:1 intervention, nurture, outside agency expertise, as well as quality classroom differentiation.


  • An Individual Education Plan (IEP) will be made by the class teacher, detailing the pupil’s targets, intervention and outcome. This will be created in consultation with both the pupil (where appropriate) and parents/ carers.  This will be reviewed following an intervention or when a target is achieved.


  • If a pupil has a disabled or medical SEN need but no learning need, a Pupil Profile will be written. This will be written by the class teacher in consultation with the parent and pupil and identifies the pupil’s strengths, difficulties and needs. This will be available to all staff who work with the pupil and amended when necessary.


  • If a child has not made progress, even though an intervention has been implemented and all available measures have been put into place or the pupil has significant and complex needs, it may be necessary to apply for an assessment to obtain an Education, Health and Care Plan (formally a Statement). This application can be made by parents or school and is sent to Leeds City Council for assessment and processing.


For more information please see:




How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?


  • There will be a clearly differentiated curriculum that caters for the pupil’s needs, identified in the IEP or Pupil Profile.


  • The class teacher and the SENCO will organise groupings and resources to make sure the pupil has full access to their learning.


  • If a pupil is undertaking an intervention, the class teacher will work closely with the SENCO/ TA to make sure the pupil is consolidating the intervention work in the classroom.


  • We use multi-sensory approaches in all of our teaching.



How will I know how well my child is doing and how will you help me support my child’s learning?


  • There will be two parent/ carer evenings held in Autumn and Spring term.


  • For all funded children, parents/ carers will be invited to an Annual Review meeting and receive a written report on their child’s progress.


  • After the intervention, parents/ carers will be invited to talk to the class teacher about progress and to update/ discontinue the IEP.


  • The SENCO holds a parent drop-in session every half term.


  • Parents/ carers are invited to speak to the class teacher as a first point whenever needed.


  • Parent/ carers should look out for any parental workshops, as advertised on the school website.


What support will there be for my child’s overall well–being?


  • We have a designated Learning Mentor who delivers a range of nurture programs both individually and in groups.


  • We have a Rainbow Room, brightly decorated with soft furnishings, where nurture sessions take place.


  • We work closely with our local Children’s Centre, to create a holistic pastoral approach for both pupils and families


  • Nurture and well-being is at the core of our curriculum, with pupils working on specific well-being themes e.g. the SEAL program (Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning).


  • There is a prominent well- being ethos throughout the school with worry boxes, friendship zones and dinner time nurture clubs.



What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the school?


  • We work closely with our designated Child Psychologist and Speech & Language Therapist who visit our school on a termly basis.


  • We also work with the specialist Autism team- STARS, who have also provided us with specific PECS communication training as well as strategies for individual children.


  •  The Visual Impairment Team, diabetes nurses, physiotherapists and occupational therapists also regularly visit our school to work with specific pupils.


  • If a pupil has been referred to CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service) we will work with them to share information and next steps.


  • We can also access advice and strategies from the Targeted Mental Health Services (TAMHS).



What training are the staff supporting children with SEN having/had?


  • Our staff follow a cycle of professional development whereby individual needs are identified and training is organised.


  • Staff have been trained in: autism awareness, PECS communication, PECS communication using ICT, Makaton, physiotherapy programs, speech and language strategies, intensive interaction, dyslexia awareness, diagnostic assessment, Silver SEAL emotional intelligence and multi- sensory maths.



How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom?


  • Our SEN and disabled children are always fully included in any activities outside of the classroom.


  • Detailed risk assessments are written and approved before any school trip to ensure the safety of all pupils.


  • Teachers always visit venues prior to the school trip to ensure the full access and safety of all pupils.


  • Prior to a residential visit, parents are invited to meet with the class teacher and SENCO to discuss any specific arrangements or requirements. This is then communicated to the venue. Parents/ carers are also invited to visit the venue personally and talk to venue staff.


How accessible is the school?


  • Our school has full wheelchair access with wide doors, disabled toilets on the lower and upper floor, as well as a lift to access the first floor.


  • Our school entrance is one level.


  • Both the ground and first floor are one level.


  • We have a newly fitted Care Suite with toilet, shower, hoist and physiotherapy bed.




How will the school help my child on transfer to the next phase of education?


  • We have close links with all local high schools.


  • When parents/ carers know their given school, the SENCO will arrange a meeting to include the pupil, parent/ carer, high school SENCO and class teacher.


  • Pupils will complete an ‘All About Me’ passport booklet to pass on to the next school.


  • Pupils will work in small nurture groups to discuss their worries and questions about high school.


  • Pupils will visit the high school a number of times for transition sessions.


  • If the pupil has a 1:1 support assistant, the support assistant will visit the school with the pupil to bridge the transition.


  • The SENCO will make sure all documents are passed to the new school.


  • The above will also be put into place if the pupil is transferring to another primary school or SILC.


How are the school’s resources/funding allocated and matched to children’s needs?


  • The Senior Leadership team led by the Headteacher and in consultation with the SENCO discuss and allocate resources pertinent to a child’s needs, taking into account parent and carer views.


Education, Health and Care Plan (former Statements)


  • If a child has an Education, Healthcare Plan (a new version of the Statement from 1st September 2014) and is allocated Level 3 top up funding (as calculated by Leeds City Council) parents/ carers can request to have this funding allocated to a personal budget for their child.


Through the EHC Plan meeting, outcomes will be agreed in partnership with the caseworker, school, outside agencies and parents.


If agreed, parents can then direct Level 3 funding to the specific EHC Plan outcomes, either through the school, through an outside agency or directly themselves.


This is only an option if a statement has been changed to an EHC Plan. Parents should contact their child’s caseworker for more information and next steps.



N.B. (Funding and EHC Plans/ Statements are not a guaranteed link- a child may have an EHC Plan/ Statement and no Level 3 funding or can receive Level 3 funding without a Statement/EHC Plan).



For more information:


How are parents involved in the school and how can I be involved?


  • Parents/ carers have daily contact with their child’s class teacher.


  • The SENCO has a half termly drop- in for SEN parents.


  • Parents are always consulted when teachers are writing IEPs or Pupil Profiles.


  • Parental views are always collected prior to annual review meetings.


  • We have a suggestion box in our reception area for parents and also a ‘You ask we did’ board, showing our response to parent feedback.


  • We have a POWA parent association- please call the office for more details.


Who can I contact for further information?


  • Your child’s class teacher should always be the first communication


  • SENCO Miss Hateley  0113 323 0342 for any SEN queries


  • To enquire about a place please call the school office on the above number





Leeds City Council Local Offer- detailing services provided by Leeds City Council: