In Science we aim to stimulate a child’s curiosity in finding out why things happen in the way they do. It teaches methods of enquiry and investigation to stimulate creative thought. Children learn to ask scientific questions and begin to appreciate the way science will affect their future on a personal, national, and global level.
The aims of science are to enable children to:
- ask and answer scientific questions;
- plan and carry out scientific investigations, using equipment, including computers, correctly;
- know and understand the life processes of living things;
- know and understand the physical processes of materials, electricity, light, sound and natural forces;
- know about the nature of the solar system, including the earth;
- evaluate evidence and present their conclusions clearly and accurately.
Please see the long term overview below for more information about the topics covered in each year group.
“The best scientist is open to experience and begins with romance - the idea that anything is possible. “